CALL FOR PAPERS
ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI)
Special Issue on End User Development
for the Internet of Things
Special Issue EditorsPanos Markopoulos (Eindhoven University of Technology)
Jeffrey Nichols (Google)
Fabio Paternò (CNR-ISTI)
Volkmar Pipek (University of Siegen)Deadline for Submissions: March 22, 2016
The advent of massively interconnected objects, devices, and sensors — commonly referred to as the Internet of Things — raises equally massive challenges regarding the interfaces that will allow end-users to manage the complexity of such systems and to exploit the opportunities such technologies open up.
A promising approach, known as End-User Development, empowers end users to define and tailor the functions of their systems in order to satisfy their personal, local, and often task-specific needs. In the context of the Internet of Things, and the diverse tools and methodologies now available to support the design of interactive systems, the field of End-User Development finds itself at a critical juncture of growth and wide impact, as the need to support personal, context specific, and emergent needs largely exceeds what is known from more conventional interactive systems.
This special issue will publish compelling papers exploring metaphors, interfaces, and development strategies for supporting users in customization and personalization of the Internet of Things. Contributions may take the form of studies, methodologies, or system implementations that explore context-dependent or application-specific behaviors of networked objects. Likewise, contributions that reflect on or take issue with the appropriateness of End-User Development as a strategy to face these challenges are welcome.
Possible topics include:
The key topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
- Empowerment of end-users to understand, configure, personalize, and control Internet of Things applications
- Design methods and approaches for end-users specific to the Internet of Things
- Domain specific tools, architectures, and authoring environments for supporting end-user development
- Contextual factors promoting end-user development practices
- Social computing approaches for end-user development of Internet of Things ecologies
- Novel methodologies for evaluating emerging end-user interactions with the Internet of Things
Submit to: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tochi
Author Guidelines: http://tochi.acm.org/authors
Special Issue Timeline:
- Submission due: March 22, 2016 (Earlier submissions are encouraged.)
- Reviews due: April 30, 2016
- Notification to authors: May 15, 2016
- Revised version due: July 15, 2016
- Special issue published: Late 2016
For the complete Call-for-Papers visit: http://tochi.acm.org/end-user-development-for-the-internet-of-things/
CONTACT: Contact the special issue editors at eud-for-iot@TOCHI.acm.org with any questions.