Rahul has reach a point at his research path at Aalto University, when it is time to say Goodbye! He started in Aalso’s FSE group as a MSc thesis worker in PAHAHUPA -project. From that project, he received two journal articles:
- Kallada Janardhan, R., Hostikka, S. Experiments and numerical simulations of pressure effects in apartment fires. Fire Technology, 53(3):1353-1377. 2017. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10694-016-0641-z
- Hostikka, S., Kallada Janardhan, R., Riaz, U., Sikanen, T. Fire-induced pressure and smoke spreading in mechanically ventilated buildings with air-tight envelopes. Fire Safety Journal, 91:380-388. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.firesaf.2017.04.006
Rahul’s doctoral thesis is titled “Understanding fire spread, its influence on structures and fire intervention tactics through computational methods”. You can find the thesis from https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/handle/123456789/114663
The thesis is built on the basis of four collaborative research papers. First two developed a computational affordable (coarse mesh) CFD method for modelling fire spread on wood. Third investigated the effect of spreading fire on structural response through CFD-FEA coupling, and the fourth one introduced the aspect of fire intervention by developing a CFD model for large fire brigade water sprays and a means to consider cooling in the CFD-FEA coupling.
- Kallada Janardhan, R., Hostikka, S. Predictive Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of Fire Spread on Wood Cribs. Fire Technology, 55:2245-2268. 2019. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10694-019-00855-3
- Kallada Janardhan, R., Hostikka, S. When is the fire spreading and when it travels? – Numerical simulations of compartments with wood crib fire loads. Fire Safety Journal, 126: 103485. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2021.103485
- Kallada Janardhan, R., Shakil, S., Lu, W., Hostikka, S., Puttonen, J., Coupled CFD-FE analysis of a long-span truss beam exposed to spreading fires. Engineering Structures, 259, 114150, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2022.114150
- Kallada Janardhan, R., Shakil, S., Hassinen, M., Lu, W., Puttonen, J., Hostikka, S. Impact of Firefighting Sprays on the Fire Performance of Structural Steel Members. Fire Technology, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10694-022-01257-8
Rahul’s defense was organized in June 15th, 2022. Opponent was Prof Wojciech Węgrzyński of Institute Techniki Budowlanej, Poland. The examination lasted for about two hours and covered the entire thesis work. Here is a group photo after the defense, with opponent, candidate, and custos wearing black.
As the last project, while waiting for the reviews of his latest journal, Rahul participated in the measurements of LIESIPALO-project.