Farid Alinejad defended his thesis in May 12th, 2023. The title of his thesis is “Modeling in-depth transfer of thermal
radiation in non-gray condensed materials”. Opponent was Prof Frédéric André from INSA, Lyon (now Univ Lille). Defense was successful and Farid has now graduated, and is already making career in research. Congratulations!
Farid’s work was extensive. The thesis was based on five published papers:
- Alinejad, F., Bordbar, H., & Hostikka, S. (2020). Development of full spectrum correlated k-model for spectral radiation penetration within liquid fuels. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 158, 119990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.119990
- Alinejad, F., Bordbar, H., & Hostikka, S. (2021). The ordinate weighting method for solving radiative heat transfer through a Fresnel interface. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 270, 107685 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jqsrt.2021.107685
- Alinejad, F., Bordbar, H., & Hostikka, S. (2021). Improving the modeling of spectral radiation penetration into the condensed materials with the separated full spectrum correlated-k method. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 176, 121448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.121448
- Alinejad, F., Bordbar, H., Makowska, M., & Hostikka, S. (2022). Spectroscopic determination of the optical constants and radiative properties of black PMMA for pyrolysis modeling. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 176, 107501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2022.107501
- Alinejad, F., Bordbar, H., & Hostikka, S. (2022). On the importance and modeling of in-depth spectral radiation absorption in the flammability analyses of black PMMA. Fire Safety Journal, 103706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2022.103706
First two dealt with fundamental methodological development for thermal radiation modelling. The third and fourth were focus on the material modelling using non-gray methods, and the fifth combined all these methods into pyrolysis modelling in fire engineering.
Prof André’s visit was an intersting opportunity for us at Aalto to learn about the forefront of radiation modelling. We look forward in new collaboration in this field.