Episode 2 is about the history of atomic layer deposition (ALD), but also other things dear to my heart. Mentioned are for example: conformality; catalysis; 40 Years of ALD in Finland – Photos, Stories (FinALD40 exhibition); Baltic ALD 2014 conference; story of Suntola’s atomic layer epitaxy; two almost parallel inventions of ALD; Beneq applab opening in St. Petersburg 2013; molecular layering; 1st international conference on atomic layer epitaxy 1990; international ALD conference; November Networking – ALD at Aalto University; Millennium Technology Prize; Virtual Project on the History of ALD; ALD window; misconception of full monolayer growth per cycle for ideal ALD; conformality test concept & saturation profile & lumped sticking coefficient.
Persons mentioned, at least: Outi Krause, Suvi Haukka, Tuomo Suntola, Sven Lindfors, Arto Pakkala, Victor Drozd, Valentin Aleskovskii, Angel Yanguas-Gil, Jonas Sundqvist.
Companies mentioned, at least: Microchemistry, Neste, Beneq, Lohja, Picosun.
The podcast is available in at least via:
- the Beneq website: https://beneq.com/en/podcast/
- Spotify. Full podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/51i69jeWEb8BhmkbJ135Um, Episode 2: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7zUwL7RrMsx91qd7ZRZaBg?si=Yf1-g6sqQZ-cOyF_Zk3y0Q
Reviews in Applied Physics Reviews mentioned:
- Surface chemistry: R. L. Puurunen,
Journal of Applied Physics 97, 121301 (2005); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1940727
- Crystallinity: V. Miikkulainen, M. Leskelä, M. Ritala, R. L. Puurunen, Journal of Applied Physics 113, 021301 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4757907
- Conformality of ALD: V. Cremers, R. L. Puurunen, J. Dendooven, Applied Physics Reviews 6, 021302 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5060967
Essays mentioned on the history of ALD:
- ALE essay: R. L. Puurunen, “A short history of atomic layer deposition: Tuomo Suntola’s atomic layer epitaxy,” Chemical Vapor Deposition 20 (2014) 332-344; https://doi.org/10.1002/cvde.201402012
- ML essay: A. A. Malygin, V. E. Drozd, A. A. Malkov, V. M. Smirnov, “From V. B. Aleskovskii’s “framework” hypothesis to the method of molecular layering/atomic layer deposition,” Chemical Vapor Deposition 21 (2015) 216-240; https://doi.org/10.1002/cvde.201502013
Also mentioned, just published paper on conformality analysis:
- J. Yim, O. M. E. Ylivaara, M. Ylilammi, V. Korpelainen, E. Haimi, E. Verkama, M. Utriainen, R. L. Puurunen, “Saturation profile based conformality analysis for atomic layer deposition: aluminum oxide in lateral high-aspect-ratio channels,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2020, advance article, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CP03358H
Forgotten to mention: the Aalto OpenLearning site being built around ALD in international collaboration: https://openlearning.aalto.fi/course/view.php?id=100. Maybe once, the ALD Stories podcast Episode 2 will also be linked to this OpenLearning site.